Weekly Life Group Questions
* Download a printable version at the bottom of the page.
Life Group: January 25 – 31/2021
Text: Genesis 39:1 – 18
Welcome/Icebreaker: What was the first job you had as a teenager?
Main Idea: Before we can be trusted with life’s advances, we have to learn from life’s adversities.
Read Genesis 39:1 – 18
Big Picture Question
- As you read this passage are there any words or phrases that jump out at you that you would like to explore further? Are there any initial questions you have after reading this passage? What do you think is the central message of this passage? What is your initial reaction to this story?
- How did Joseph end up in Egypt?
- What was his job when he first got to Egypt?
- What temptation did he face? How did he respond?
- What did Mrs. Potiphar claim Joseph did?
- Against Whom do we ultimately sin? (cf., Ps 51:4)
- What is the relationship between the Lord’s blessing in our life and the Lord’s presence in our life? What is the relationship between the Lord’s blessing in our life and our testimony for the Lord?
- Even Egyptians loathed the Hebrews (cf., Gen 43:32b), why did Potiphar have full confidence in Joseph and entrust his entire estate to him?
- Joseph began as Potiphar’s personal servant and was quickly promoted to overseer of the estate. How does this relate to Matt 25:21? Can you share an experience how this principle has worked in your own life?
- When might we be most vulnerable to temptation? How can we protect ourselves from temptation? (cf., 1 Cor 10:13)?
- Why did Mrs. Potiphar want to frame Joseph? What was Mr. Potiphar’s response?
- Why is resisting temptation always the right thing to do even if it results in a setback (e.g. Joseph resisting temptation landed him in jail)?
- How might we deal with painful setbacks in our walk with Jesus?
- Is there any adversity you are experiencing that is preventing you from advancing in the things of God? How can we pray?
- Is there anything else in this passage that the Lord has impressed on your heart that you would like to apply in your life? How can we pray?
Pray for one another and pray through the blessing list (i.e. your oikos). You may also want to use this time to create a new blessing list.
Pray for PBC
- The Lord would continue to direct and guide PBC though the current Corona virus crisis.
- The Lord would continue to enlarge the Life Group ministry.
- Pray that God would open doors of opportunity to minister to our community and share the good news with our neighbours.
January 25 - 31, 2021 Life Group Questions